Mohacs

Mohacs  is a town in Baranya county, Hungary on the right bank of the Danube.

Two famous battles took place there: Battle of Mohacs, 1526 and Battle of Mohacs, 1687. These battles represented the beginning and end, respectively, of the Ottoman domination of Hungary. In Roman times there was a camp on the banks of the Danube near Mohacs. In the medieval Kingdom of Hungary, Mohacs was part of the historical Baranya county, and during Ottoman rule it was the administrative seat of the Sanjak of Mohacs, an Ottoman administrative unit. After the Habsburgs took the area from the Ottomans, Mohacs was included in the restored Baranya county. In 1910, the population of the Mohacs district numbered 56,909 people, of whom 21,951 spoke German, 20,699 Hungarian, 4,312 Serbian, and 421 Croatian. Another 9,600 inhabitants were listed as speaking "other languages" (presumably Bunjevac and sokac).

For more information visit the website of the city.